Unfortunately, tomatoes were not a successful AIP re-intro food for me. I sure do miss them, especially when I'm craving salsa or a bowl of chili. I am still working on a salsa replacement, but I think this alternative chili recipe hits the spot!
Often times, people with SIBO or IBS symptoms cannot tolerate garlic or onion. I decided to leave them out to make this recipe suitable for a low-fodmap diet as well. If you can tolerate these two members of the allium family, feel free to add them in for extra flavor. Given that I have celiac disease and still working to repair my gut, the specific carbohydrate diet works well for me. This recipe is also SCD compliant, making this a gut-friendly and healthy soup to nourish the soul during these cold winter months. Enjoy!
-3 cups butternut squash, chopped in about 1 in cubes
-3 cups rutabaga, chopped in about 1 cubes
-2 cups carrots, chopped
-1 cup red beet, chopped
-3 cups kale, chopped
-1 pound ground beef
-5 cups bone broth/broth of choice
-2 tbs coconut oil
-1.5 tbs ginger, chopped
-3 tbs ground oregano
-1 tbs ground thyme
-2 tsp sea salt
-avocado and cilantro for topping
1. In a large stove-pot, melt coconut oil on medium-high heat.
2. Once melted and the pot is hot, add ginger and saute for 5 minutes, continuously stirring.
3. Add bone broth, butternut squash, carrots, rutabaga, beet, salt, oregano and thyme to the pot. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to a simmer. Cook on simmer for another 20-25 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
4. While the soup is cooking, brown the ground beef in a skillet on medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to brown meat evenly. Cook completely and set aside.
5. Once the veggies are tender, transfer 1-2 cups worth of soup to a blender. Blend until all ingredients are well-mixed. (This step is optional, but I like to blend some of it for appearance).
6. If you chose to blend some of the soup, add it back to the pot, along with the beef and kale. Simmer for another 10 minutes until the kale softens.
7. Optional- top with avocado slices and cilantro. Serve with your favorite soup bread/muffin if you wish.