Paleo Chicken Pad-Thai! (Whole 30, SCD, Low-fodmap option, vegan option)
Feel free to experiment with different veggies! You can also use rice noodles and peanut butter if you're not looking for a paleo option.
Ingredients for Pad-Thai Sauce:
-1/4 cup coconut milk
-2 tbs sunflower seed butter (or peanut butter)
-1.5 tbs coconut aminos
-1 tbs sesame oil
-1 tbs honey (use sweetener of choice for vegan)
-1/2 tbs lime juice
-1/2 tbs apple cider vinegar
-1 tsp fish sauce (optional-omit for vegan)
-1 tsp ground ginger
-1 tsp garlic infused olive oil (optional)
-1/4 tsp sea salt
Ingredients for Pad-Thai Base:
-1 medium-large spaghetti squash
-4 carrots, thinly sliced lengthwise
-1 daikon radish, thinly sliced lengthwise
-2 cups purple cabbage, chopped
-1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
-4 stalks green onions, chopped
-2 tbs coconut oil
-1 clove garlic (omit for low-fodmap)
-1 tbs ginger, chopped
-Cilantro and lime wedges for serving
-1 lb chicken thighs/breasts-whichever you prefer! (Use protein of choice for vegan).
-1 tbs avocado oil
Directions for the Pad-Thai Sauce:
1. Using a high-powdered blender, blend all ingredients until smooth. Add more salt of honey to taste. Yum!
Directions for the Pad-Thai base:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Before making the sauce or base, prepare the spaghetti squash. Cut the squash in half, remove the seeds, and place in a baking dish face down with a small amount of water. Cook for 45-50min. (If you have an instant pot, you can cook a spaghetti squash in about 11 min!)
3. Once your squash has cooked for 15 minutes, prepare the chicken. Rinse and place chicken thighs in another baking dish. Coat with avocado oil, salt and pepper to your liking. Cooking for 25-30 min.
4. Once your chicken had been in the oven for 15 minutes, prepare the pad-thai base. Using a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat, add coconut oil.
5. Once the pain is hot and coconut oil is melted, add ginger and garlic, stirring continuously for 2 minutes.
6. Add carrots, red cabbage, and green onions. Continue to stir frequently for another 5 minutes.
7. Add daikon radish and zucchini now. Continue to stir frequently for another 5 minutes.
8. Turn down the heat to a simmer to help keep warm while you prepare the pad-thai sauce. See directions for pad-thai sauce below.
9. Remove squash and chicken from the oven when finished. Using a fork, spread apart spaghetti squash into strands.
10. Prepare a bowl to your liking! I started with about 1 cup of spaghetti squash, 1 cup of the veggie mixture, 4 ounces of chicken, and lots of delicious sauce. Topped with cilantro and lime wedges. I definitely went back for seconds! :)