Updated: Jan 16, 2019
Thought nachos were impossible on an SCD and AIP diet? I got you covered! There are so many options you could do with these nachos. I topped them with seasoned groud pork, pico de gallo, creamy cheese sauce, and avocado. The rutabaga chips seem like a daunting task, but they are worth it! Promise!
Ingredients for rutabaga chips:
-1 large rutabaga, sliced with mandoline about 1/8 inch thickness, or cut very thin with a knife
-2 tbs olive oil
-1/2 tsp sea salt
Ingredients for Creamy Cheese Sauce:
Click here for the recipe
Ingredients for nightshade free Pico de Gallo
-3-4 radishes, finely chopped
-1 tbs red onion, finely chopped
-1 tbs green onion, finely chopped
-2 tbs cilantro, finely chopped
-1.5 tbs lime juice
-1/2 tsp cumin (omit for AIP, I promise it will still be tasty!)
Ingredients for nacho meat:
-1/2 pound ground pork
-1 tbs lime zest
-1 tsp lime juice
-1 tsp cumin (omit for AIP)
-1.2 tsp sea salt
Directions for Rutabaga Chips:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Once the rutabaga is all sliced into thin pieces, place in a bowl with sea salt. Drizzle with olive oil and stir completely until all of the pieces are fully covered.
3. Place all slices one by one in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. Bake for 25 minutes, flipping each piece half way through to prevent uneven browning. Repeat with the rest of the slices.
5. Transfer the chips to a plate, lined with paper towels, to help absorb excess oil. The chips will continue to harden and crisp as they cool.
Directions for nightshade free Pico de Gallo:
1. Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir away! Easy peasy!
Directions for nacho meat:
1. In a medium sized skillet on medium sized heat, add ground pork, spreading evenly in the skillet. Saute for 8-10 minutes stirring consistently until meat is cooked through.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and saute for another minute or so. Remove from heat.
Directions for nachos:
1. Lay the rutabaga chips on a plate first.
2. Cover the chips with the nacho meat.
3. Top with creamy cheese sauce, pico de gallo, avocado slices, and extra green onions and cilantro if you please.