Pumpkin Seed Pesto Hummus (GF, DF, soy free, nut free, paleo option)
- 1 can garbanzo beans (15.5 ounces)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2.5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of chopped basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon of chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped kale (feel free to use spinach or another green of choice)
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. If you choose to roast your chickpeas, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Toss chickpeas in olive oil and bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly toasted. You can also roast your garlic clove for 5-10 minutes if you wish.
3. Combine all ingredients into a strong blender or food processor. Blend until all ingredients are mixed together to your desired consistency. If you're using a blender, you will have to scrape the sides and blend multiple times. Feel free to add more water if your blender needs the help.
4. Give it a quick taste test and add more salt or herbs to your liking!
1. To make this paleo, use cauliflower instead. It is still delicious!
2. Cut the cauliflower into bite-sized pieces and follow the same directions as the chickpeas above except:
3. Reduce the baking time to 15-20 minutes, until cauliflower is golden brown.
4. Add one tablespoon of water at a time. I only used 2 tablespoons of water when using cauliflower as the base.