Instant Pot Broccoli Orange Chicken (AIP, low-fodmap option)
Oh, instant pots! If you do not have one... please consider getting one! It makes a busy life so much easier. During the summer months, I use mine almost every day. This entire recipe took 4-5 minutes to cook in the instant pot and I had a lot of leftovers. I hope you like it!
-1.5-2 pounds chicken thighs or breasts cut into bite sized pieces (I love using chicken thighs, but make sure to get skin and bone removed for this recipe)
-4 cups broccoli, chopped
-1 cup orange juice (juice from approximately 1.5-2 oranges). I keep the orange rinds for extra flavor (optional).
-2 tbs coconut oil
-1/2 cup coconut aminos
-1/4 cup chicken broth
-3 stalks green onions, chopped (greens only for lowfodmap)
-2 tbs honey
-2 tsp ginger
-1 tsp sea salt
-1/2 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
-1 tsp garlic powder (omit for lowfodmap)
-4 tbs arrowroot starch
1. Place all ingredients except the broccoli and arrowroot starch into your instant pot and stir until evenly combined.
2. Place the chopped broccoli on top of the mixture in the instant pot. I add the leftover orange rings in the mix as well for extra flavor
3. Close the lid to your instant pot. On manual pressure, set the time for 4 minutes. Make sure the vent is sealed.
4. When the instant pot has completed the 4 minute cycle, allow for a 5 minute natural release, then move the valve towards venting to release the remaining pressure.
5. With a slotted spoon, remove all ingredients to a bowl, leaving the liquid inside the instant pot. Throw away the orange rinds.
6. Turn instant pot to saute setting, on low. Add in arrowroot starch and stir.
7. Cook on saute function for a few minutes, stirring gently, until the sauce thickens. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. The sauce will continue to thicken.
8. Add the ingredients you removed with a slotted spoon back to the instant pot mixture and gently stir to combine.
9. Serve over rice, rice noodles, cauliflower rice, or sauteed veggies. Top with fresh green onions if you'd like.