Updated: Sep 15, 2018
"So what is nutrition therapy anyway?"
I get asked this question a lot. As a nutrition therapy practitioner, it is important for me to be able to quickly answer this for people. If only it were a quick answer! Here is my "simple version."
A Synergistic Approach
Nutrition therapy focuses on optimizing each body system to work together. Rather than analyzing the digestive system, the nervous system, and the endocrine system separately, I would look at their synergistic effects. For example, if a person undergoes chronic stress, their adrenal glands become suppressed, which prevents nutrient absorption, increases cravings for nutrient-deficient comfort foods, which can ultimately lead to hormonal imbalance. It is ALL CONNECTED!
With nutrition therapy consultations, I work hard to identify the root cause of issues, address imbalances in the body, and implement nutrition and lifestyle changes to improve overall health. Food with abundant nutrients can help you heal the underlying causes of acute and chronic illnesses.
Nutrition therapy is the right choice for you if:
1. You have a myriad of different symptoms that need to be analyzed together, to see how they're related.
2. Interested in identifying the root cause of your symptoms, rather than taking medications to suppress symptoms.
3. You have tried various doctors or specialists, but do not feel well yet. Or, you've been told, "this is all in your head." (Yes, that actually happened to me!)
4. You are motivated to implement long-term health changes to become the healthiest version of yourself.
5. You believe the best medicine is food... and to avoid taking medicine :)