Updated: Sep 9, 2018
There's nothing like a warm bowl of soup on a brisk fall day!
-1 small onion (omit for sensitivity-tastes great without it!)
-1.5 pounds broccoli florets and stalks chopped (about 5 cups of each)
-1 cup chopped carrots
-3 cups bone broth, chicken broth, or veggie broth
-1/2 cup nutritional yeast
-1.5 tbs coconut oil
-1 cup full fat coconut milk
-Juice of one lemon or 1tbs of lemon juice
-Sea salt to taste
-Zucchini/yellow squash "noodles" (*optional)
-Garlic powder to taste (*optional)
-Green onions for toppings (*optional)
1. In a large stove-pot, heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil over a medium-high eat. Add onions and cook until translucent, or until golden-brown.
2. Pour in the broth, add carrots and broccoli stalks only (leave out florets until later use). Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer for approximately 20 minutes, or until carrots and broccoli are fork-tender.
3. Transfer the soup into a standing blender. Add nutritional yeast, lemon juice, sea salt, and garlic powder if using. Blend on medium-high until soup has a creamy, velvety appearance.
4. Place soup back into the stove-pot adding the broccoli florets, coconut milk, and noodles (if using). Cover, and simmer on low heat for approximately 10 minutes to allow the flavors to intensify! Yum! (Tip** For tastier broccoli florets, coat in coconut oil and cook in the oven/convection oven for approximately 10 minutes or until crispy before adding to the soup).
6. Add more water for a thinner soup, salt, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, or garlic powder to your liking.
7. Pour into a bowl, top with extra broccoli florets, green onions, or lemon juice